Friday, July 29, 2011

Mixed feelings

In 1980 my father married my step monster.  I have NEVER liked her.  She is mean spirited and never treated me like her own.  I never knew what my dad saw in her but figured there must be something good to attract a great guy like him.  I dreamed of him leaving her for years.  Finally I gave up hoping for that and just focused on getting out of their house and away from her.

So as over joyed as I am that he has seen her for what she is, and is divorcing her mean spirited and money grubbing butt, I have a sad side effect.  Her family who has been MY family for the last 30 years will no longer be MINE.  Sure I will still chat with them. I will still stop to see them when I'm in town, as I'm sure they will do if they are in  my neck of the woods.  It's those family get togethers that I will miss.  That's when this huge 90+ member family all comes together and you get to see people you don't get to see on the regular basis.  Thanksgiving, Christmas, and 4th of July...  My siblings don't have the same issue, they are HER children.  So no one will think twice about whether they should come or not.  I'm the "floater" .  Her family is wonderful by the way.  (I never understood how she could be so different.)  They have always accepted me and made me feel like one of them.  They have always seen how she treated me and been quick to comfort or commiserate with me.  I cannot however expect them to invite me when SHE will be in attendance.  That makes me really sad.

Be careful what you wish for I guess.

3 comments:

Mad Housewife said...

I've felt the same exact way about my step-monster (maybe they're distant cousins). Then last year she had a stroke. She doesn't remember being an awful person, so my long-held grudge and hurt feelings for 20 years were now meaningless.
I do keep up with several of her family members, who, like you said about yours, are nothing like her.
OGO, I do believe you may be my long lost sister from another life...

Granny Annie said...

Oh me oh my it is a horrible thought to entertain the idea of a separation from my spouse much less my step-daughter and grandchildren. I love them all deeply and they affirm me all the time that their feelings are the same. Any fear I had of being the "wicked step-mother" has been erased by their love and support. I am truly blessed. I am so very sorry that you have to deal with this in your adult years and hope you will keep a connection with this extended family.

Lorna said...

Could I have said better things than Leslie and Granny Annie? I think not.